Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Flock of Finn's / Waterfront Park



The Flock of Finns are metal sculptures made from Folk Artist Marvin Finn designs. This is a lasting tribute to Finn who passed away in 2001. The flock has moved around Louisville. They reside in Waterfront Park off Witherspoon and Preston St.

My first encounter with Marvin Finn was years before he was well known. My friend Nikki Lee received two birds for christmas made by a friend's handyman. Who found discarded scraps of wood and paint and created the most whimsical birds. Or we thought they were birds. Nikki still has them in her lovely Lexington home. I keep thinking she will get tired of her Finn's and give them to me but it hasn't happened in 35 years. It was only after Phyllis George published her book on KY Crafts that we knew about the artist. We just knew him as the handyman.

Today you can purchase Original Finn's @ Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft on Main St. in Louisville. Chris Finn worked with his father and continues to create Finn's. I have several in my collection. Just waiting for Nikki to get tired of her's so they can be joined with mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment